For Indians rice is their staple diet. Everyone here has rice at least once in their diet daily. It is the most versatile ingredient available as it can be cooked in any way you want. You can cook rice in the form of an entree, mains or even a dessert. You can find more than forty thousand different varieties of rice in the world. In many cultures it is also considered that rice is quite an auspicious symbol of fertility and life. Also, rice is one of the major food crops in India, which covers about one-fourth of the crop lands here and provides food to nearly half the population of India. In Japan it is really important that you not waste rice. It is even considered quite rude when you leave rice in your bowl in Japan. This is one ingredient which proudly claims to be a part of all types of cuisines. So try a different type of rice dish when you cook next time.
Given below are some of the popular rice dishes which you can cook the next time you plan to do something different.
- Murg koftey ki biriyani – Anyone who is familiar with Indian cuisine would know what koftas are. In this dish koftas made of spiced chicken are used and they are cooked together with basmati rice to eventually turn into a fragrant and delicious biriyani. This is most often accompanied with a saffron scented, garlic raita to bring out the flavours of the biriyani much better. This Awadhi dish is greatly suitable for any kind of regal feast.
- Handi biriyani – This is a unique biriyani which has layers of vegetables in between the slow cooked rice. The range of masalas used and chicken makes the dish a must try for most people. This beautiful melange is sure to win over the hearts of everyone at the dinner table.
- Garlic and egg fried rice – Do you need a flavourful rice recipe to fill your stomach once in a while? Then you should definitely try this one. This easy to make dish is cooked with the goodness of eggs, a sufficient amount of garlic and some other oriental flavours to add to the taste.
- Three layered rice – As you can guess from the name, this dish has three different layers each with a different surprise. So dig deeper, the crunchy aloo lachchas, the fleecy paneer pieces and the tanginess of tomatoes will surely make you love the dish. All these together with the use of certain rustic spices will make flavours explode in your taste buds.
- Scheherazade biriyani – This traditional styled Iranian biriyani uses masala rice which is layered with fried onions and marinated fish. As toppings raisins and cashew nuts are used. This biriyani is special because of its aroma of rose water which will make your mouths water and leave you wanting more.
Kashmiri chicken pulao – If you haven’t yet tasted this pulao, then do so today. This aromatic dish is so full of flavours of the Kashmiri spices, chillies, ghee and sweet raisins, that it is a must try for all.